Royal Canin Dog Food Reviews, Recalls and Analysis 2013
Royal Canin Reviews
One of Royal Canin’s many dog food formulas is MEDIUM Active Special 25. It’s designed specifically for medium-breed adult dogs between 21 and 55 pounds with digestive and skin sensitivity. This formula helps those dogs return to normal health by boosting energy, enhancing digestibility, and improving the skin and coat. The top 5 ingredients are: chicken meal, rice flour, rice, chicken fat, and corn gluten meal. Here’s an in-depth look at MEDIUM Active Special 25 based on its ingredients and nutritional value.
Royal Canin products for dogs are grouped into the following categories:
- Breed Health Nutrition
- Canine Health Nutrition Wet
It provides you with information about the meat and quantity used in the product, as well as with a list of controversial ingredients that may be in the product.
You can consult our controversial dog food ingredient guide up top for that. Either print it out if you shop locally, or use it as reference when you buy pet food online.
The following sample analysis takes a closer look at Royal Canin’s Maxi Adult dry dog food product.
Top 15 ingredients
- Chicken by-product meal
- Brewer’s Rice
- Brown Rice
- Chicken Fat
- Corn Gluten Meal
- Natural Flavors
- Dried Beet Pulp
- Fish Oil
- Grain Distillers Dried Yeast
- Calcium Carbonate
- Potassium Chloride
- Sodium Silico Aluminate
- Monocalcium Phosphate
- Brewer’s Rice is a by-product of the rice milling process that consists largely of small left-over fragments. It is of modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Wheat just like corn has modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Brown Rice has only modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Corn Gluten Meal is a by-product of corn once the starchy carbohydrates have been washed out. It is high in protein but of lesser value than meat based proteins.
- Dried Beet Pulp is a by-product of sugar beet processing. Critics say it is an inexpensive filler item with no nutritional value to dogs, while proponents believe that it benefits the blood sugar level and intestinal health.
- Grain Distillers Dried Yeast is a fat product by the bio-fuel industry. A low-quality ingredient that is high in protein which means it can boost the total protein count on the label.
- Crude Protein (min): 24%
- Crude Fat (min): 15%
- Crude Fiber (max): 3.2%
- Moisture (min): 10%
- EPA (min): 0.25%
- DHA (min): 0.1%
Royal Canin’s Maxi Adult contains an average amount of protein and fat that comes from a below-average amount of Chicken meat as you do need to consider the amount of plant-based protein that is included in the product.
Royal Canin Resources:
- Manufacturer Homepage – http://www.royalcanin.us/
- Recall List for Royal Canin Dog Food – http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls…
- Royal Canin on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/RoyalCanin.us