Nutro Dog Food Reviews, Recalls and Coupons
Nutro dog food is categorized in four different product lines: Nutro MAX, Nutro ULTRA, Nutro Natural Choice and Greenies Treats. Some tailored formulas include solutions for skin & coat problems, stomach sensitivity, obesity, and weak immune systems. All the ingredients used in all three product lines are natural.
Nutro Natural Choice Formulas
These formulas are further divided into the following groups:
- Wholesome Essentials
- Limited Ingredient Diet
- Sensitive Skin and Stomach
- Grain Free
- Life & Weight Management
- High Endurance
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Puppy Chicken, Whole Brown Rice & Oatmeal Formula
- Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Whole Brown Rice Formula
- Nutro Lite Adult Chicken, Whole Brown Rice & Oatmeal Formula
- Nutro High Endurance Adult Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice & Oatmeal Formula
- Nutro Grain Free Adult Lamb Meal & Potato Formula
Nutro Max Dog Food Formulas
These product too are divided into different groups:
- Skin & Coat
- Stomach Sensitivity
- Weight Management
- Nutro Max Adult Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe
- Nutro Senior Chicken & Rice Dinner
- Nutro Weight Control Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Dinner
- Nutro Mini Bones Adult Dog Biscuit
Nutro Ultra Formulas
- Holistic Puppy Foods
- Holistic Adult Dog Foods
- Holistic Senior Dog Foods
- Holistic Weight Management Dog Foods
- Ultra Biscuits
- Greenies Canine Dental Chews
- Greenies Weight Management
- Greenies Senior
- Greenies JointCare
- Greenies Pill Pockets Canine Treats
- Greenes Pill Pockets Allergy Formula Treats
Sample Analysis of Nutro Dog Food
We are analyzing a single product as part of our review to provide you with information about the quality of it. Note that the recommendation is only for the tested product, and that other Nutro dog food products may vary in quality and ingredients.
We encourage you to check out the ingredients list on the product label to make sure it meets your quality standards.
The analysis below reviews Nutro’s Max Adult Natural Chicken Meal & Rice dry dog food recipe.
Top 15 ingredients
- Chicken Meal
- Ground Whole Wheat
- Wheat Flour
- Ground Rice
- Rice Bran
- Chicken Fat
- Corn Gluten Meal
- Dried Plain Beet Pulp
- Natural Flavors
- Potassium Chloride
- Choline Chloride
- Zinc Sulfate
- Vitamin E Supplement
- Ground Whole Wheat has modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Wheat Flour has modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Ground Rice or Rice Flour is a gluten-free substitute for wheat flour.
- Rice Bran is a by-product of rice milling.
- Corn Gluten Meal is a by-product of corn once the starchy carbohydrates have been washed out. It is high in protein but of lesser value than meat based proteins.
- Dried Plain Beet Pulp is a by-product of sugar beet processing. Critics say it is an inexpensive filler item with no nutritional value to dogs, while proponents believe that it benefits the blood sugar level and intestinal health.
- Crude Protein (min): 24%
- Crude Fat (min): 14%
- Crude Fiber (max): 4%
- Moisture (max): 10%
- Zinc (min): 250 mg/kg
- Vitamin E (min): 250 IU/kg
- Taurine (min): 0.10%
- Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C) (min): 35 mg/kg
- L-Carnitine (min): 55 mg/kg
- Omega-6 (min): 3%
You will notice that there is only one meat source listed in the ingredients list which suggests that the product contains a moderate amount of meat only.
Nutro Max Adult Natural Chicken Meal & Rice is a grain-based dry dog food that contains a moderate amount of chicken as the main source of animal protein. You need to consider the protein-boosting effect of plant-based ingredients such as corn gluten meal to evaluate where the protein comes from.
Nutro Dog Food Reviews
In addition to the natural ingredients found in Nutro dog food, there are vitamins, minerals… and lots of rice. Because Nutro dog food has brown rice, rice bran, and other different forms of rice, Nutro dog food is a bit heavy on carbohydrates. It also contains corn gluten meal, which is an inferior source of protein, and wheat, which can trigger canine allergies. Not only that, but the minerals in Nutro dog food have been found to be chelated, which means they’re difficult for a dog’s body to absorb and are usually passed through a dog’s digestive tract and wasted in the stools.
Chelated minerals are pretty much useless to a dog’s health and well-being. Nutro dog food may seem healthy and nutritious at first glance, but if you really inspect the ingredients, you’ll find that they’re not so much better than the ingredients found in below-average dog kibble. If you feel that it’s necessary to feed your dog Nutro, we highly suggest the Natural Choice product line because it seems to be the healthiest of all.
Nutro dog food reviews by users
What do you and your dog think of Nutro dog food? If your dog has ever tried it, feel free to sound off on it!