Kirkland Dog Food Reviews, Recalls and Coupons 2013
Some dry food formulas include Kirkland Signature Puppy Formula, Kirkland Signature Small Dog Formula, Kirkland Signature Mature Dog Formula, and Kirkland Signature Healthy Weight Formula.
Kirkland dog food is produced by Diamond Pet Foods exclusively for Costco.
Kirkland Dry Foods
- Kirkland Signature Puppy Formula
- Kirkland Signature Small Dog Formula
- Kirkland Signature Mature Dog Formula
- Kirkland Signature Adult Dog Formula (Lamb)
- Kirkland Signature Adult Dog Formula (Chicken)
- Kirkland Signature Healthy Weight Formula
Kirkland Canned Foods
- Kirkland Chicken and Rice Formula
- Kirkland Lamb and Rice Formula
When it comes to assessing the quality of food products, it is important to use the information that the producer provides on the product label. It contains the list of ingredients which help us determine the quality of the food.
Note that ingredients do not tell the whole story, for instance how the food is processed or about the quality of raw materials used.
For our sample analysis, we are taking a closer look at Kirkland’s Signature small dog food formula.
- Chicken Meal
- Whole grain brown rice
- Cracked pearled barley
- Chicken Fat
- Egg product
- Dried Beet Pulp
- Fish Meal
- Natural Flavor
- Brewer’s dried yeast
- Dried chicory root
- Potassium Chloride
- (Whole Grain) Brown Rice has only modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Dried Beet Pulp is a by-product of sugar beet processing. Critics say it is an inexpensive filler item with no nutritional value to dogs, while proponents believe that it benefits the blood sugar level and intestinal health.
- Brewer’s Dried Yeast is a by-product of the beer-making process. It is rich in minerals and nutritional contents. The controversy comes from the fact that some dogs are allergic to yeast. If yours is, avoid food that is listing this as an ingredient.
Kirkland dog food Reviews
Kirkland dog food may be good, but it’s not grain-free. Most formulas contain whole grain brown rice, which some dog owners don’t like due to the low amount of nutritional value found in rice. It also contains brewers dried yeast, which can trigger allergic reactions in dogs.
The third ingredient found is Dried Beet Pulp, which is a highly controversial item. Some say it contains little nutritional value while others state that it benefits a dog’s blood sugar level and intestinal health.
The meat content found in Kirkland dog food is made of chicken or lamb meals, which contain higher levels of protein than the amount found in raw chicken or lamb. However, some dog owners feel that Kirkland dog food doesn’t contain enough meat necessary to maintain good health in dogs. That being said, Kirkland does add vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients to their dog food, so we’d rate Kirkland dog food as above-average dog food.
Kirkland dog food reviews by users
What do you and your dog think of Kirkland dog food? If your dog has ever tried it, feel free to rate and review it on his behalf!