Iams Dog Food Reviews, Recalls and Coupons
Iams dog food is categorized in seven different product lines: ProActive Health, Healthy Naturals,Premium Protection, Veterinary Formula, Sporting 29/18, So Good and Woof Delights.
Each product line comes in dry kibble, savory sauces, and canned wet food. You can also buy formulas based on your dog’s age, size, and special needs, if any.
- Iams Prime Naturals Chicken, Rice & Barley Recipe
- Iams Healthy Naturals Puppy with Chicken
- Iams So Goof with Savory Chicken
- Iams Premium Protection Senior Plus
- Iams Sporting 29/18
While it is impossible to say anything about the quality of raw materials in most cases, it enables us to make recommendations based on that listing alone.
There are other factors which we do not include in our analysis, including cost and availability which may play a role for you.
This sample analysis is for Iams Healthy Naturals Adult with Wholesome Chicken dry dog food.
Please note that the list of ingredients, controversial ingredients and quality of product may vary for other Iams dog food products. It is important that you analyze the ingredients on the product label in detail before you make a buying decision.
- Chicken By-Product Meal
- Corn Mea
- Brewers Rice
- Ground Whole Grain Barley
- Chicken Meal
- Dried Beet Pulp
- Dried Egg Product
- Natural Flavor
- Sodium Bisulfate
- Potassium Chloride
- Choline Chloride
- Fish Oil
- Chicken Fat
- Chicken By-Product Meal are leftovers of slaughtered chicken that are usually deemed unfit for human consumption.
- Brewers Rice is a by-product of the rice milling process that consists largely of small left-over fragments. It is of modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Corn Meal has only modest nutritional value to dogs.
- Dried Beet Pulp is a by-product of sugar beet processing. Critics say it is an inexpensive filler item with no nutritional value to dogs, while proponents believe that it benefits the blood sugar level and intestinal health.
- Brewer’s Dried Yeast is a by-product of the beer-making process. It is rich in minerals and nutritional contents. The controversy comes from the fact that some dogs are allergic to yeast. If yours is, avoid food that is listing this as an ingredient.
- Dried Apple Pomace are the solids that remain after apples are pressed to extract juice.
- Dried Peas contain about 27% of plant-based proteins. While that is not bad, it needs to be considered when you look at the total protein reported on the label, especially if the ingredient is listed near the top.
Iams Dog Food Reviews
Even though Iams is marketed as “premium dog food”, it’s hardly high-quality. Iams dog food is chock full of by-products, artificial ingredients, and low-quality meats and proteins. The top ingredients found in Iams dog food are: chicken, corn meal, and chicken by-product meal.
However, Iams dog food does have somewhat wholesome ingredients (such as beet pulp) and doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals found in some of the cheapest dog kibble on the market. Iams dog food formulas are best classified as average dog kibble that’s better than some cheap dog food brands, but not as good as the higher-quality brands.
Pet Food Talk recommends getting a better brand if you’re concerned about your dog’s diet or if your dog needs a diet high in meat, but if your dog can get by on an average-quality diet, Iams can probably satisfy its needs.
Iams reviews by users
Has your dog ever tried Iams? If so, what did your dog think? Please let us know!
How other Dog Food websites rate Iams dog food
- Iams Dog Food (1 out of 5 stars Consumer Affairs)
- Iams Dog Food (2 out of 5 stars Pet Food Talk)
- Iams Healthy Naturals Adult Weight Control (2 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Naturals Dog Food (3 of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Premium Protection (3 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams ProActive Health canned and ry (2.5 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Simply and Natural Chicken, Rice and Barley (4 of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams So Good Dog Food (2 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Veterinary Formulas Intestinal (2.5 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Veterinary Formulas Skin and Coat (2 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Veterinary Formulas Weight (2 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)
- Iams Woof Delights Tubs (3.5 out of 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor)