Canidae Dog Food Reviews, Coupons and Recalls 2013
Canidae offers a wide variety of dog food product lines. They all have one thing in common: they were made with healthy, natural, and holistic benefits in mind. As of now, their product lines include:
Canidae Life Stages (available as dry and canned dog food)
- All Life Stages
- Canidae Platinum
- Chicken Meal & Rice
- Lamb Meal & Rice
- Large Breed Adult
- Large Breed Puppy
Grain Free Pure (available as dry and canned dog food)
- Land Dry
- Sea Dry
- Sky Dry
Biscuits & Treats
- Grain Free Pure Heaven Biscuits with Duck and Chickpeas
- Grain Free Pure Heaven Biscuits with Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Life Stages Bakery Snacks with Turkey, Quinoa & Butternut Squash
- Original Snap-Biscuit with Chicken Meal & Turkey Meal
- Original Snap-Bits with Chicken Meal & Turkey Meal
- Original Snap-Biscuit with Lamb Meal & Brown Rice
- Original Snap-Bits with Lamb Meal & Brown Rice
- Platinum Original Snap Bits with Chicken Meal & Turkey Meal Platinum Formula for Seniors & Weight Management
- Platinum Original Snap Biscuit with Chicken Meal & Turkey Meal Platinum Formula for Seniors & Weight Management
- Tidnips Chicken-Licious Soft & Tasty Chicken & Rice Treats
- Tidnips Lamb-Licious Soft & Tasty Lamb & Rice
- Tidnips Meaty-Licious Soft & Tasty Chicken, Turkey, Lamb & Salmon Treats
The following sample analysis looks at Canidae’s Life Stages All Life Stages dry dog food Formula.
Note that other products may vary in regards to their ingredients.
We suggest you check out our list of controversial ingredients that you find up top. You can print it out and take it with you locally, or directly if you shop online.
Top 15 ingredients
- Chicken meal
- Turkey meal
- Lamb meal
- Brown rice
- White rice
- Rice bran
- Cracked Pearled Barley
- Chicken fat
- Tomato Pomace
- Natural Flavor
- Flaxseed meal
- Brown Rice, White Rice and Rice Bran are all high up the list. Rice is only of modest nutritional value to dogs. You are probably also wondering why three different types of rice have been added to the product. A possible explanation is ingredient splitting. If you would only use one type of rice, it would probably be up higher in that list. By splitting rice you make sure that it does not.
- Tomato Pomace is another controversial item. Some say it is rich in fiber and nutrient contents, while others see it as an inexpensive filler item with no nutritional value whatsoever. since it is listed on position 13, it is likely that it won’t make much difference either way in the product.
- Crude Protein (min): 24%
- Crude Fat (min): 14.50%
- Crude Fiber (max): 4%
- Moisture (max): 10%
- Omega 6 (min): 3.7%
- Omega 3 (min): 0.5%
- Vitamin E (min): 200 IU/kg
- Vitamin C (min): 50 mg/kg
Ingredient quality is just one of the things that you need to look at. When you look at the protein, fat and carb distribution you will notice that it contains less than average protein and fat, and above average carbohydrates.
The amount of meat is below average to average at best.
- Mike Sagman @ Dog Food Advisor
Canidae offers dog food with many different concentrated protein sources, some of which include beef, bison, chicken, duck, turkey meal, lamb meat, salmon, and fish meal. Not only that, but Canidae dog food is also loaded with good-quality carbohydrates – in the form of brown rice, oatmeal, and barley – and fiber in the form of rice bran and tomato pomace. The top three ingredients in Canidae dog food are either meat or poultry (some in the form of meals), and the next three ingredients are usually rice or rice bran.
Pet Food Talk rates Canidae dog food as “good” instead of “excellent” because of its unusually high rice content. However, they pointed out that the low amount of vegetable proteins (and the high amount of meat proteins) found in Canidae dog food allows older or more food-sensitive dogs to digest the food better.
Canidae User reviews
If you’ve ever had your dog try Canidae dog food, how did it go? Rate the product and leave a review below!
- Canidae Coupons: http://petmoz.com/dogfoodcoupons/canidae/
- Manufacturer Homepage: http://www.canidae.com/
- Pet Food Recalls FDA List: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/#Dog